I am an assistant professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering at KOREATECH (Korea University of Technology and Education). My research interests span a broad range of topics in the area of mobile and ubiquitous computing and IoT computing. I am interested in designing creative systems and conducting experimental system research for challenging real-world problems. I am particularly interested in devising new mobile applications/services, tackling related technical problems, and designing systems for the applications, and building working prototype. Before joining KOREATECH, I was a research professor in the Department of Computer Science at KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology).
I am looking for highly motivated M.S. and Ph.D. students to work with me in the area of mobile/ubiquitous computing, Internet of Things, deep/machine learning, and human-computer interaction. If you are interested in building innovative mobile/wearable/IoT systems and joining my research group, please send me your CV via swkang (at) koreatech (dot) ac (dot) kr. You can visit my lab homepage.
- [service] Jan. 2019: I’ll be serving as a Workshop Co-Chair of MobiSys 2019.
- [service] Oct. 2018: I’ll be serving on the TPC of PervasiveHealth 2019.
- [poster] Oct. 2018: Euihyeok presented our poster on wearable assistant for the 20-20-20 rule at UbiComp 2018!
- [service] Apr. 2018: I’m serving as a Doctoral Colloquium Co-Chair of UbiComp 2018 / ISWC 2018.
- [paper] Feb. 2018: Our “CaaS” paper has been introduced at GetMobile!
- [service] May 2017: I am serving as an Associate Editor of PACM on IMWUT (Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies)
- [paper] Mar. 2017: Our paper on a mobile/cloud system to empower a massively packed crowd to instantly and collectively visualize their common message has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2017 (acceptance ratio: 18%)!
- [paper] Jul. 2016: An overview article about our PowerForecaster system has been published in GetMobile!
- [paper] Jul. 2016: Our paper on a power-aware development support tool for mobile sensing applications has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2016 (acceptance ratio: 23.9%, 481 submissions)!
- [service] Jan. 2016: I’m serving as a Program Co-Chair of MobiSys 2016 Ph.D. Forum.
- [paper] Jul. 2015: Our paper on a system to predict smartphone power impact of continuous sensing applications at pre-installation time has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2015 (one of 27 accepted out of 132 submissions)!
- [service] Jun. 2015: I’m serving on the TPC for the International Workshop on Internet of Things towards Applications (IoT-App) 2015.
- [paper] May 2015: Our paper on exploring the current practices for smartwatch battery use and management has been accepted to ISWC 2015 (acceptance ratio: 25%).
- [paper] May 2015: Our paper on a novel mobility-aware smartphone battery information advisor for continuous sensing applications has been accepted to UbiComp 2015 (acceptance ratio: 23.6%).
- [service] May 2015: I’m serving on the Organizing Committee (Travel Grant Chair) for UbiComp 2015 / ISWC 2015.
- [service] Mar. 2015: I’m serving on the Organizing Committee (Poster & Demo Co-Chair) for the 13th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2015).
- [service] Mar. 2015: I’m serving on the TPC of DCOSS 2015 (Mobile Sensing Track).
- Mar. 2015: I joined KOREATECH (Korea University of Technology and Education) as an assistant professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering.
- [paper] Sep. 2014: Our paper on understanding relational orientation based on attachment theory and Facebook activities has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2015.
- [award] Sep. 2014: We’ve won the Honorable Mention Award at ACM MobileHCI 2014!
- [paper] Feb. 2014: Our paper on smartphone-based opportunistic ECG monitoring has been presented at ACM HotMobile 2014.
- email: swkang at koreatech.ac.kr
- tel: +82-41-560-1406